Monday, January 10, 2011

Post-crafting Hiatus- I made pants!

So, I've pretty much been MIA for the last 3 months it seems.  While I've still been crafting, I haven't done nearly as much as I would have liked.  So, what have I been doing instead?  Well, we have a new furry addition in our home!

Meet Brody!  He was six weeks old when we got him in November, still quite the baby. His mom was a corgi/lab mix and they assumed his dad was a dachshund and chihuahua mix, so that makes him a Corgidor Chiweenie if you want to paste a designer tag on him.  We have absolutely no idea how big he will get, we're hoping in the 20-30 lb range and no more.  He's currently 13 weeks old and 10 lbs of seemingly never-ending energy. 

Now that he's pretty settled and the holidays are over, life is starting to calm down at the townhouse.  Thank goodness!  I'm excited to finally get back to crafting, as my to-do list is miles long and growing every day!  One project I did manage to knock off my list, mostly because it was time-bound, was my Christmas pj pants. As I mentioned before, I have this self-imposed tradition of having a brand new pair of pj pants to wear Christmas Eve into the morning and while opening gifts.  Well, I typically buy a pair every year, but for some insane reason I thought, oh gee, making them can't be that hard.  Again, this was a pre-puppy idea.

On the morning of Christmas Eve, yeah I kid you not here, I sat down and got to work.  I had no backup plan, so if I failed, I would be forever ending my tradition, so I soldiered on determined to make the pants work.  Well, either my brain was fried, or the pattern was poorly written, because I seam-ripped the pants not once, not twice, but three times until I got the construction done appropriately.  This was supposed to be a simple pattern using 4 pieces of fabric....

Finally, once the pants looked like, well, pants, I went ahead and tried them on to fit the elastic in the waist.  Oh my goodness, who designed this pattern?  The legs in the size small pants were like tree trunks.  Apparently this was a unisex pattern, despite the fact that all of the models on the packaging are female.  So, I went ahead and used an old pair of pj pants to mark off a more feminine shape and back to the sewing machine I went.

And, to add insult to injury, I decide to go beyond the pattern and add trim and cuffs to the legs, yeah won't be doing that again anytime soon!

All in all, I'm glad they are done and I really see why a $10 pair at the store are worth it. I will say that I still love the fabric, which was pretty much the reason I decided to torture myself with making them.

Anyway, drum roll please... here's the finish product.